Laptop Loan Guidelines and Procedures
|Title: Laptop Loan Guidelines and Procedures
Source: Library Management Team, Information Technology Services
Date: 2012-10-23, 2011-01-12
- The Helmke Library has 15 Windows laptops available for use by IPFW students, faculty and staff. There are no charges for the use of the laptops; however, fines and fees may apply if the equipment is lost, stolen, damaged or returned late.
- Only currently enrolled IPFW students and active faculty and staff may check out laptops.
- Patron must present a valid IPFW Mastodon Card at the time of check out.
- Equipment can be borrowed for 1 day (24 hours), no renewal.
- No reservations are allowed.
- Users cannot choose which laptop they receive.
- Laptops can be checked out during library hours.
- Laptops can leave the building but not all on-campus network services will be available off-campus.
- HP ProBook 4520 – 15.6” widescreen laptop with 4GB RAM; DVD burner; Bluetooth; wireless; 3 USB ports; up to 5 hour battery life; Memory Stick, Multi Media Card, SD Card and xD-Picture Card reader; and integrated video camera.
- Power cord, laptop bag, wireless mouse
- Laptops run Windows 7 and have the same software as IT Services’ student lab computers, including Microsoft Office, Internet Explorer, antivirus, Microsoft FrontPage and Adobe Reader.
- Laptops are enabled to print directly to any of the open-access printers on the first, second and fourth floors.
- Users can also print to any of the WebPrint printers in myIPFW.
- Pages printed count against the lab printing allowance for each user.
5. Check Out
- Users must present a valid IPFW Mastodon Card when checking out a laptop at the Learning Commons Desk on the second floor of the library.
- Accessories are checked out with each laptop.
- Users can only check out one laptop and one set of accessories at a time.
- The borrower is responsible for the equipment and is liable for loss or damage to laptop and accessories unless damage occurs during a building emergency such as a fire.
- Defective equipment should be reported immediately and returned to the Learning Commons Desk.
- Laptops and all accessories should be returned to the Learning Commons Desk by handing to the Learning Commons consultant.
- Equipment should not be left on the counter or placed in the book drop.
- Returns must be made before the library closes or late fees may be charged.
- Learning Commons staff will assess the equipment for any damage.
- Learning Commons staff will clean and/or re-image the laptop from time to time as needed.
7. Fines and Fees
- Late fees are $20 per day, $140 maximum.
- After 1 week, borrower will be billed the total replacement cost of all equipment borrowed.
- Fees include a non-refundable $25 service charge in addition to late fees and replacement costs.
- The maximum fine is $165 (maximum late fees plus service charge) plus replacement costs for the laptop and/or any accessories borrowed.
8. Replacement Costs
- Laptop, $750
- 9 cell battery, $150
- 6 cell battery, $105
- Power cord, $60
- Laptop bag, $24
- Mouse, $27.95
9. Misuse of Equipment
- Laptops are to be used according to the Ethical Guidelines for Computer Users, http://new.ipfw.edu/offices/its/policies/ethical-guidelines/.
- Misuse or deliberate destruction of equipment should be reported to the Learning Commons Desk.
10. Contact Information
- Equipment or borrowing information – Learning Commons Desk (library second floor, 260-481-5483).
- General use computer questions – Learning Commons Desk (library second floor); IT Services Help Desk (260-481-6030, email@example.com or Kettler 206).