Obtaining DVDs and Videos not owned by Helmke Library
|Title: Obtaining DVDs and Videos not owned by Helmke Library
Source: Library Management Team
Date: 2014-07-08; 2009-10-26; 2009-03-01; 2008-12-01
1. Purchase by Helmke Library
Faculty: If you plan to show a DVD or video in your classes each semester, please contact your liaison librarian to determine if it can be purchased by Helmke Library for addition to the library's collection. Helmke Library loans most DVDs and VHS cassettes from our library collection for 42 days. Please be aware that other patrons and/or libraries may also check out these items; plan to check out the item well in advance of the date you will need it.
2. Scheduling/Booking videos and DVDs held at Wells Library, Bloomington (faculty only)
Faculty: Search IUCAT for the title. If it is held at Wells Library, Bloomington, you will be able to Book (schedule) it for delivery.
- Wells Library, Bloomington - Media Services items: Faculty members may “Book” (schedule) the item for use on a particular date. The Booking option is only available to faculty. To book an item, complete the media-request form "Schedule a Media Item for Class Use" at least one week in advance of the date the film is to be shown to allow time for delivery. Requests for bookings may be made months ahead of time, even prior to the beginning of a semester, by filling out a Media Request for each item needed or by e-mailing a list of titles and the dates each are needed directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Faculty will be sent an email the day after an item has been scheduled into the booking system and again on the day the item is shipped.
- All booked items will be sent via campus mail to the faculty member’s address as listed in the Helmke Library's database. A return label will be enclosed with the item. Faculty members are responsible for returning these items to the Bloomington campus via campus mail.
- The loan length for these booked media items is 7 days. Extension of loan length may be requested via email to email@example.com but may not be possible because these items are heavily used.
- Videos and DVDs found in IUCAT with the Bloomington Location ALF are not bookable for a particular date using the above IU media form. Items with the location of ALF that are video format may be requested through Helmke library's Document Delivery Services. Bloomington ALF will loan videos but will not loan DVDs via Document Delivery Services/interlibrary loan.
3. Via IUCAT Request Delivery
Due to individual campus loan lengths, only DVDs and videos held by IU Southeast, IUPUI University Library (I-UNIVLIB) and Fort Wayne Helmke Library are eligible for Request Delivery via IUCAT. There is no guarantee of delivery date for items ordered through Request Delivery. For any other location, place a request using the Document Delivery system.
To place an IUCAT Request Delivery for a DVD or video held by IU Southeast, I-UNIVLIB or Fort Wayne Helmke Library:
- Find the item in IUCAT
- View the full bibliographic record and click on the "Request This" button to the right of the record
- Use the drop down box to select location where you wish the item to be delivered
- Click the red "Request Delivery" button under it
- If the return message states that the item is not available for hold or delivery, use the Document Delivery system to request the item.
Requests made through IUCAT's Request Delivery system may be tracked using IUCAT's "My Account". These are direct loans to you from the library that owns the material. When the item arrives, items for staff and faculty will be charged out to your IUCAT account and mailed via campus mail to your office.
Students: an e-mail notification of arrival will be sent to your IPFW email account and the item will be held for your pick up at the Helmke Library Service Desk; bring your Mastodon card to charge out the item.
All items received through IUCAT's Request Delivery system should be returned to Helmke Library where they will be discharged from your account and mailed back to the lending library. Please be aware that there is no guarantee of delivery date for items ordered through IUCAT's Request Delivery system. These items may or may not be renewable.
4. Via Document Delivery
If a DVD or video is not available at any IU library, use Document Delivery to request the item from another library. There is no guarantee of delivery date for items ordered through Document Delivery. The length of loans and policies on renewing will also vary depending on the lending library's policies.
- Click the Document Delivery link on the Helmke Library’s home page and login using your IPFW username and password
- Under the New Request menu, select "DVD/Video/Tape/CD"
- On the request form, enter the exact title, the date of production in the "Date of Publication" field, and the name of the production company (if available) in the Publisher field. In the Notes field, enter the specific format of the item you are requesting, i.e. 'This is a video' or 'Need DVD version only' (it is OK to delete the default words [DVD/Video/Tape/CD] in the Notes field when adding your own note).
- Click the Submit Request button at the bottom of the form
- Staff and faculty: Items will be charged out and shipped to your office via campus mail
- Students: an e-mail notification of arrival will be sent to your IPFW email account and the item will be held for your pick up at the Helmke Library Service Desk; bring your Mastodon card to charge out the item.